Friday, March 5, 2010

"On your way to wonderful, you're gonna have to pass through alright"

Sometimes I can't enjoy a good song until it's taken out of context, e.g. buried amongst utter shit on stations like KFog. The songs of Bill Withers are a perfect example. When you sandwich a song like "Ain't No Sunshine" between "Oye Como Va" and Cherish, it quickly looses it charm.

But when you pull it out, it's a wonderful thing. A well crafted pop song that strips down all the studio tricks and relies on good lyrics and simple songwriting. To me, THAT is Bill Withers. A guilty pleasure? Sure, but one I've come to terms with (others will stay buried deep in my psyche).

At any rate, I was pretty stoked to hear about SF Native Damani Baker and Alex Vlack new Documentary, "Still Bill". A film eight years in the making.



To find out more, visit the film's homepage or check out this nice little segment on NPR's Fresh Air.

I'll leave you with one of my favorites, "Grandma's Hands"

No comments: