Saturday, July 11, 2009

Re: Budgie

Oh man, that Budgie post took me back...

Another great Metallica cover of an epic song is "The Prince," by Diamond Head. Metallica's version was the b-side of the "One" single in '88, but they'd recorded it a year or two earlier (check out their note below about how they later tried to remix the song but "failed." Whew!).

F*ck the a-side, I wore the f*cking cassette out listening to this thing, unable at the Metallica-obsessed age of 10 to believe they could cover songs that were better even their own. I did this art class project in 5th grade where I recreated the cover (sick Pushead) with watercolors, stippling, the whole nine. If I can find it, I'll scan it in and post it...it was a perfect remake. For now, here's the original and of course, the vids.






(I think they rereleased it later on this "Garage Inc" album, but this vid is the '88 version)



No comments: