Thursday, July 15, 2010

Sleigh Bells In Summer?

I always look forward to my "summer soundtrack", but normally I don't realize I've found it until years later when I say "man I listed to that song a lot in the summer of [insert year here]."

Having said that, I think a top contender is the new album from Sleigh Bells, "Treats", released on M.I.A.'s NEET recordings. It's amazing in a very unconventional way. Here is the recipe:

1 Part Poison in the Well Member
1 Part Former Teen Pop Sensation Alexis Krauss (RubyBlue)
Add several electronic instruments and samples to taste
Mix influences from The Prodigy, MIA, Le Tigre and L'Trim, Marching band beats ala Drumline
A pinch of Black Sabbath

Sounds like shit, right? At least that is what I though. But it's blowing me away. Super catchy, super upbeat and just enough of that bratty little girl attitude from Singer Krauss to make it count.

No comments: